Thursday, October 30, 2008

We're Not In Alaska Anymore...

DSC_0774.JPG

This was my first view of Africa from the airplane. At first it was hard to believe that we were actually there, but when I stepped off the plane it became very obvious I was far from home. Here's how I could tell...




DSC_0780.JPG

Arabic signs in the airport.




DSC_0784.JPG

Palm trees outside. (It felt like summer!)



DSC_0791.JPG

The view from my hotel room.



DSC_0795.JPG

The sconce in my hotel room. (If you don't know what a sconce is, you better look it up...)



DSC_0817.JPG

The teapot in the hotel lobby.



DSC_0799.JPG

It was very exciting to see new and different things, but I was very grateful to see this. I think I'll enjoy western toilets and toilet paper for a while longer...

2 comments:

Missy said...

Ooh! This is going to be such a cool experience! I am totally jealous! It is definitely the complete opposite from Alaska... Enjoy all of that sun and great weather!

JEM said...

I love that you had to go to Africa to get a flush toilet. It looks GLORIOUS there! I'm so excited for you! You're going to have a blast.