Saturday, November 29, 2008

Camel Riding in the Sahara!!!

Because I am extraordinarily lame, I was insanely excited about riding a camel in the Sahara desert. Youssef, the owner of our kasbah, arranged the whole experience.


DSC_0003.jpg


We started by having our heads wrapped in a traditional turban. The turban offered protection from the sand and upped the cool factor by at least one hundred.



DSC_0005.jpg


This is Carrie. She is a Fulbright teacher from Heber, Utah. Carrie rocks. Carrie also "agreed" to be my model for a photo series on how to wrap a turban (by agreed I mean that she didn't run away while I was taking the photos. Also, she knows that I am a blogger, implying implicit consent).



DSC_0006.jpg


The turban wrapping was provided by Youssef.


DSC_0007.jpg


Youssef wrapped the turban around Carrie's head, and, um, then he twisted it...



DSC_0008.jpg


Then he, uh, wrapped the twisted part behind her head...



DSC_0009.jpg


And, um, tucked it in, or something...



DSC_0010.jpg


Then kept twisting and wrapping in a very turban-like fashion...



DSC_0011.jpg


Before, uh, tucking the end of the turban underneath, the, um, twisted part...



DSC_0012.jpg


Okay, so that didn't quite end up being the informative how-to piece I had envisioned (even Carrie looks annoyed in this picture- and she's an incredibly positive person). Maybe you can figure out how to tie a turban by looking at the pictures or something (is tie even the right verb to use? I really have no idea...).




DSC_0019-Portrait.jpg


The end result left us looking authentically touristic and ready to ride our camels!!!



DSC_0023.jpg


This is our guide leading the camels to us. We considered ourselves very fortunate to have a private guide (as opposed to traipsing around with forty fanny-pack-wearing tourists).



DSC_0026.jpg


This is Carrie and me greeting our camels. I knew the dark one was meant for me because he (or she?) was loud as soon as they arrived.



DSC_0028-Portrait.jpg


Getting on the camel while it was on the ground was pretty easy, and I was pretty much feeling like a pro-spectacular-fessional...



DSC_0029.jpg


then the camel started to stand up, and I had to hold on to the little tourist bar pretty tightly. (You will notice that I managed to continue looking at and posing for the camera, despite almost falling off my camel. I am amazing. Also, I am pretty sure that I was smiling underneath my turban, even though my mouth was covered.)




DSC_0030.jpg


Carrie and I both made it safely through the standing up process, and I was able to continue my blatant posing. (Hey Brahim!!! Thanks for taking the pictures of my camel mounting!)


DSC_0036.jpg


If I looked down, this was my view. You may not be able to tell, but our guide was BAREFOOT! He started out wearing Tevas (hahaha), but took them off a few minutes into the journey. (Fun fact: he just left the sandals in the sand. He picked them up on our way back to the kasbah).



Sand View.jpg


If you think that I got tired of looking at the sand dunes, you would be WRONG! I can't really describe why the view of the dunes was so mesmerizing, but it was. The coolest part was that we didn't see anyone else. It was almost like we had the desert to ourselves.



DSC_0051.jpg


We stopped halfway through journey to eat lunch at this oasis.



DSC_0047.jpg


In order for us to dismount, the camels sat down for us. This prompted Carrie and I both to again use the little tourist bar. (See that white bag. We're pretty sure our lunch was in there.)



DSC_0048.jpg


Dismount was 100% successful.



DSC_0056.jpg


The camels took a well-deserved rest.



DSC_0057.jpg


And I was able to get this close up of Carrie's camel.


DSC_0063.jpg


I took the opportunity to pose, yet again, with my camel (notice the ring in his nose? I tried not to look at it).



DSC_0067.jpg


This was our lunch. The bread was yummy and soft. The cheese was French. The salad was full of sardines and eggs. Turns out, I like fresh sardines. Is that weird?


DSC_0072.jpg


After lunch we climbed a humongous sand dune. Our guide climbed up like it was nothing. I almost died. I'm serious. My thoughts about climbing the dune can be summed up in two sentences:

1. I am ridiculously out of shape.
2. Maybe I should work out or something.

Embarrassingly, I had to crawl in order to make it up to the top. But, I did it.



Sand View From the Top.jpg


And I was rewarded with this view. Nice, eh?



DSC_0073.jpg


I also got to take a picture of my feet in the sands of a Saharan dune!



DSC_0081.jpg


Here's a view of the oasis. The tents are for people who go on overnight camel rides. Those people are very cool. (Hey Steve! Wanna go camping in the Sahara with me?)



DSC_0076.jpg


Here are the triumphant dune climbers (although, Carrie was significantly more triumphant than me because she wasn't heaving like an asthmatic bovine).



DSC_0080.jpg


Carrie at the top of the dune.


DSC_0084.jpg


Me at the top of the dune. (Gee whiz, what would it be like if my camera weren't full of cheese-a-riffic photographs?)



DSC_0092.jpg


We walked along the crest of the dune, causing little sand avalanches like this.



DSC_0094.jpg


Then we were introduced to Berber skiing. Our guide grabbed my left ankle and Carrie's right ankle. Then he dragged us down the dune. (Is it just me, or do both of our feet look strikingly white?) It was fun. I shrieked the whole time (shocker).



DSC_0095.jpg


This was our guide's face during the Berber skiing. I wonder if he likes this part of his job...



DSC_0098.jpg


We ended our Berber skiing experience halfway down the dune. Then we ran the rest of the way down. It was fun. My body was kind of stretched between the force pulling down the dune and my weight causing me to sink into the sand. I also managed to get sand in just about every crevice of my jeans and into the chapstick that was in my pocket. The above picture shows the footprints I made in the dune.



Sand View  Favorite.jpg


We saw more fantastic views on the way back. (If you look closely you can see four-wheeler tracks.)




DSC_0111.jpg


We arrived back at our kasbah a little bit tired, a lot sandy, and very happy.

3 comments:

cphurner said...

Wow, I'm a star!!! BTW I'm pretty sure the guides sandals were Devas or something. Your Ray Dans look great on you!!!

Missy said...

That is one of my goals in life, is to ride a camel through the desert. Your pictures are amazing. Who knew that the Sahara was such a beautiful place.

JEM said...

I can't even express how jealous I am. Like Missy, I dream of riding a camel in the desert for some unknown reason. It might have something to do with camels' adorable eyelashes and lips. Those sand dunes are so haunting-looking. It looks like another planet.