Thursday, November 13, 2008

Learning to Write in Arabic

DSC_1322.jpg


This is my name in Arabic. I wrote it myself.

Note to readers: Arabic is read from right to left!



DSC_1323.jpg


This is Steve's name in Arabic. There is no 'v' sound in Arabic, so I had to settle for an 'f' sound. Steef...Steef...Steef. I like it.


DSC_1324.jpg


As you can see, It took a lot of practice before I was able to write Steve's name. Even after all my practice, my Arabic penmanship is not very good. Although, Brahim tells me it's better than my English penmanship. :)




DSC_1325.jpg


This is my first name written in calligraphy. It was done by Brahim's brother Achmed.


DSC_1327.jpg


These are some of Achmed's sketches of my name in different versions of Arabic calligraphy. Quick sketches. Wow.

2 comments:

Nick and Brent said...

Hey Miss Angie! I'm sorry I haven't commented yet, I've been busy, but I've been following and checking in on your adventures in Morocco, and am loving it. So interesting! I think my favorite post was the public bath one...I seriously don't know if I could do that. Anyway, this "adventure" for you sounds so fun and I am learning quite a bit from it! Keep up the interesting posts!

Katherine said...

Okay I just love your blogs/posts whatever they are called! What an adventure! I agree with the mackey family I dont know if I could do the public bath but if thats what you do then I guess I would! How often do the people go to the public Bath houses? Anyways, I love learning all these new things about different cultures!