Thursday, November 20, 2008

Moroccan Lunch

Lunch is the main culinary event in a Moroccan household. It is served sometime between noon and 3:00-ish. The lunch featured in this post was prepared by my Moroccan sister Khadija.



DSC_1381.jpg


This is the table. The conical dish in the center is a tajine. It is used for cooking traditional dishes.


DSC_1382.jpg


This is a pasta salad. There is usually some type of salad to start with at lunch. Sometimes it's a beet salad. Sometimes it's a tomato and cucumber salad. Sometimes it's some other assortment of vegetables (I've noticed a lot of onions).



DSC_1384.jpg


Today we had two salads. Yes!! My Moroccan family has been eating the salads with forks. That may be for my benefit. I think many Moroccans eat salads with their fingers.



DSC_1386.jpg


Sardines make pretty regular appearances at lunch time. These sardines have been fried and are coated in some kind of breading. They are actually fairly mild in flavor.



DSC_1389.jpg


This is the main dish. It is a tajine. It was prepared in that conical dish from the picture at the beginning of the post. Tajines are a combination of vegetables, broth, meat, and possibly some other things. They can be made with beef, fish, chicken, or anything. My favorite tajines are the ones made with fish. I also love the ones made with preserved lemons. Mmmmmmmm...



DSC_1388.jpg


Dessert is generally a plate of fruit. I mostly eat oranges because I heart oranges.



DSC_1393.jpg


I also eat a lot of pomegranate. They seem to be in plentiful supply around Marrakech.

1 comment:

Missy said...

That pomegranate looks so good, I am now drooling. You should get some of these recipes to try at home!